How To Tell If You Have Mice in Your Attic
- Posted by gordonb
- On October 18, 2022
- 0 Comments
The last thing that you want to do is to share your North Carolina home with mice. Mice, on the other hand, find our homes to be quite inviting and comfortable. Mice are more than a mild aggravation, they are destructive little critters that can wreak havoc on your home and possessions. They can also be hazardous to your health, spreading diseases and infections through urine and droppings. One area of your home that’s particularly susceptible to a mouse infestation is the attic.
Why Would Mice Want to Live in My Attic?
Mice enjoy your home for the same reasons you do. It’s protected from the weather so it’s an ideal place to breed and raise litters year-round. Your home also provides easy access to food, water, and other resources. They’ll chew through your walls and enter the home through vents and other access holes to make their way into your attic.
What Are the Signs of Mice In My Attic Space?
One of the key signs of a mouse infestation in your attic is the sound of tiny mouse feet scratching as they move about and tunnel through walls and insulation. This can be quite unnerving, especially at night when the house is quiet. Some other signs of a mouse infestation in the attic include:
- Spotting live mice scurrying away as you enter the attic.
- Urine-stains along boards and on the insulation material.
- Tiny black pellets of mouse droppings that resemble a rain of black rice.
- Nests constructed of shredded paper, fabrics, or other fibrous material.
- Grooves mice travel in on the insulation surface, generally one to two inches deep).
- Mouse burrows look like one to two inch holes punched into the insulation
How Can I Get Rid of Mice in the Attic?
The best defense against a mouse infestation in your attic is prevention. To keep mice out, check for holes around the exterior of your home that could act as an entry point. Water pipe hookups, air conditioners, vents, gaps around windows and doors, or cracks in the foundation should all be sealed to keep mice out. But, if you already have an infestation, there are a few things that you can do to get rid of them including:
- Set live traps or snap traps to catch mice. (Remember to use peanut butter, bacon, or chocolate for bait for best results.)
- Use poison to kill mice. (Be extremely careful and follow the instructions for use completely.)
- Call a professional pest control company. Of all your choices, this is the safest, most effective way to rid your attic of mice.
Let Critter Control of the Triad Get Rid of Mice in Your North Carolina Attic
You’ve spotted a mouse and you’re convinced that you hear scratching inside your attic. You’re likely experiencing an infestation of mice and it’s imperative that you act quickly because where there’s one mouse, there are certainly many more. Call (919) 382-0651 or contact us today and say goodbye to those unwanted attic guests once and for all.